Thursday, March 13, 2008

Stranger Danger

This morning Janice called to talk to Alison and get some details about something Taylor was telling her about. It was an incident that happened as the girls were on their way to school a couple of months ago. Basically when Taylor and Ali were walking to the bus stop one morning, a van with two men in it pulled up alongside them and asked where they were going and if they wanted a ride. Luckily Alison remembered what she had been taught and they said no and continued to the bus stop. After school that day she told me what happened. I thought of reporting it at the time, but didn't. I don't know why and I have no excuse. It definitely freaked me out! I was very bothered by the fact that Ali couldn't give me many details about it - like what kind of van it was and what the guys looked like. And that something like this was happening in quiet little Vernal. I feel like they were blessed to know what to do and to have been together.
I think there is a fine line between living in fear and teaching your children healthy fear of strangers. Although I am concerned that the situation happened, I don't think it would be healthy to not let my kids continue to ride the bus or to feel like I have to take them every day. They have been taught well and I have to have faith that they will be watched over and protected from the bad people and things that are out there.
Today I am feeling like a total heel for not calling Janice and making sure she knew about it. I didn't realize until this morning when she called and asked about it that I never had talked to her about it. I hope she will forgive me! I'm glad that Heavenly Father was watching out for them and kept them safe and protected. I hope you will all take a minute to remind your kids about stranger danger - not to freak them out, but to teach them a healthy fear.

4 comments:

Jamie said...

How scary!! That happened to me as a little girl and it was scary this weird man came into a backyard and was asking me all kinds of questions about a friend, phone number, address ect. and me being young told him. yikes we had to be escorted to school the rest of the year cause they thought she might be kidnapped.hmm i must have been an ugly kid since the guy wasnt interested in me wich was a good thing LOL. Stranger danger is a good thing that stuff scares the crap out of me

Ker said...

Why didnt you tell us you blogged before now! HELLO!! This is your favorite cousin you know!!!!!!

AND Stranger Danger is so serious. Thanks for the reminder! I will definately be having a meal chat with my kiddos tonight!

Janice {Run Far} said...

I am so not mad- I am sure you just spaced it, as did Taylor- They are ok and that is what matters. Thanks for all of your advice, you are a great friend and neighbor.

Barb said...

HEY! I just found out you had a blog!!! I haven't read any yet, but I'll be sure and get caught up with you all! I love blogging! It's a great way to keep updated with everyone!!